Tags: calcium, cranberry, drugs, health, internet, juice, kidney, medications, mixed, oxalate, places, signals, stones, system, urinary

Is Cranberry Juice good for stones

On Health & Drugs & Medications » Kidney & Urinary System

6,513 words with 10 Comments; publish: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 22:15:00 GMT; (90062.50, « »)

Hi all,

I keep getting mixed signals on Cranberry Juice.

I have the Calcium Oxalate stones, some places on the internet it says that it is good some places say it is not good. I had asked my Urologist the other day and she said that Cranberry Juice is really good for kidney stones.

Does anyone on here know the actual answer to this one.

Please let me know if you know.

JC

All Comments

Leave a comment...

• 10 Comments
    • I thought the same thing. I got chewed out today by the doc for drinking cran-grape juice. Was asked why I drink it and I responded that it is good for infections and cleansing the kidneys. He said that it is a stone producer especially oxalate.

Shannon

#1; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:33:00 GMT
    • JC & Shannon,

There are two types of kidney stones. Acid & Calcium. The calcium type can be prevented by drinking acidic cranberry juice. The acid variety would obviously get worse. If you can successfully catch a stone, the doctors can analyse which type you have.

MB

#2; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:34:00 GMT
    • JC & Shannon,

MB

Hi MB,

I know what kind of stone I have, it is Calcium Oxalate, I am just saying that there have been stories to drink cranberry juice and there have been stories not to drink cranberry juice for these stones, my doctor said that it was good to drink it.

I just want to know if it is good to actually drink cranberry juice yes or no.

JC

#3; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:35:00 GMT

Shannon

Hey Shan,

Just so you know Cran-grape may not be the best for you, certain grapes have oxalates in them, especially concord grapes, look at the label on the cran-grape bottle to see. It may be best just to drink the pure Cranberry juice. That may be the reason your doc got mad.

Oh and make sure you don't drink any kind of Gatorade drinks, they are so high in salt and oxalate, my doctor said that is the worse thing to drink for these stones.

JC

#4; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:36:00 GMT
    • I am no expert. I had heard that cranberry juice was good for preventing kidney stones. But I WAS made to understand that it should always be pure cranberry juice. Good luck everybody. I certainly don't want to give anyone bad advise. :eek:

MB

#5; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:37:00 GMT

MB

I love my cranberry juice that is why I was just wondering. I heard that it is good for you too especially when the doc says it is.

Maybe I should just drink it and say, who cares, lol. I know when I drink too much though because then I get really bad heartburn, lol.

I drink 1/2 gallon of it everyday plus, 1/2 gallon of water, I know I shouldn't drink so much with the calorie content.

If anyone thinks on here that I shouldn't drink cranberry juice, please let me know.

JC

#6; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:38:00 GMT
    • I get one of those pure Cranberry juices - no sugar or anything else added - that you need to dilute with water. I also heard it's good for keeping the urinary tract infections out of the way. I don't know about stones.
      #7; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:39:00 GMT
    • Hi everyone,

I have been taking cranberry capsules (about 800 mg a capsule) which is stronger than cranberry juice because it is highly concentrated. I have been taking this off and on for bladder infections which I get alot when I am hot, and sweating alot. I don't understand why, it is just what I have observed when I get bladder infections. I get checked and there is pus in my urine. Well, I heard on the health post that cranberry juice can cause stones, so that may be why I got this huge stone that has been growing in my kidney for about 2 years!! A light has come on!!

I was also taking Citro-Soda for bladder infections which is a orange tasting powdery substance that you dissolve in water and drink. It consists of sodium citrate, sodium bicarbonate, tartaric acid and citric acid in it. The uro here says that it can help prevent stones. But he said that there is something even better in America called Euro Sit/K or something like that. I am going to try and find it. He says it works much better to prevent stones. Have any of you heard things about the indredients in this citro-soda that could cause stones or help stones? By the way, you can't get citro soda in the states, it is available in South Africa. Anybody got any ideas?

#8; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:40:00 GMT
    • I take Polycitra-K which is a powdered form of Urocit-K. (Fruit flavored, sugar free and nasty!) The pills are too large for me to swallow. It's potassium citrate and citrate acid. I also take 25 mg of hydrochlorothiazide. My Uro tells me this will slow the growth of stones. It seems to have helped. I had lithotripsy (sp) in 1998 and didn't pass any stones until one time last April. (I did quit taking my meds for a while.) I have sponge kidneys which basically means that I have lots of smaller stones. Most pass painlessly, but not all. I know that cranberry juice does help when I get infection symptoms.
      #9; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:41:00 GMT
    • hi Joe28paws. I am 27 and recently have a kidney infection. I have searched the internet several times on this subject. I found a few good answers that make sense. The research showed that cranberry juice from the store contains alot of sugar. You have to buy cranberry juice that contains no sugar, which is hard to find at a grocery store. You can find it at a health nutrition store nearby. The cranberry juice with sugar can actually cause worse problems due to the fact that sugar can harbor bacteria inside the kidneys. I hope this helps, however if you ever start seeing any blood in your urine you will need antibiotics. Since you are male it will be hard to notice blood in your urine just by looking, so I suggest for you to take some toilet tissue and wipe the end of your penis to get any urine residue left and look to see if the traces of pink in the tissue. If it helps I also took nursing school too. good luck :)
      #10; Mon, 17 Dec 2007 11:42:00 GMT